- ONLY use the special optics-paper to clean objective-lenses. If empty, please organise new one, but do NOT use Kleenex or any kind of other tissues. They may look clean and bright-white, but may contain chalk or crystals which lead to micro-scratches on the lens and serious loss of resolution.
- As a lens cleaning solution use 80% alcohol containing ethanol or isopropyl alcohol or in distilled water.
- ALWAYS cover the microscopes when not in use for dust protection.Keep the door of the microscopy room locked while nobody is inside.
- Report any problems and damages immediately.
- Different rules exist for using the two Hybrid Detectors.
- If you intend to use these techniques, contact the responsible person.
- Before using the CLSM for the first time, you will get an instruction by Serena Schwenkert.
- Always make a reservation for the CLSM via the booking system.
- For non-Hybrid work, please only use the standard PMTs (No. 1, 3, 5), not the Hybrid Detectors (2, 4). The standard PMTs are more robust, whereas the Hybrid detectors are supersensitive and may be photo-damaged. Before using the Hybrid detectors, you will get a separate instruction.
Using the mercury burner lamp
- Before switching on, check the log-book and respect a 30 min cool down time after the lamp was switched off. Otherwise you damage the bulb, the lifetime decreases considerably, and you risk mercury (toxic!) releasing im-/explosion and (expensive) bulb-housing damage.
- Never look into the UV light spot on the object level without a UV protection screen.Never cover the air duct on the lamp housing - the bulb is extremely hot.
- Only authorized persons may replace high-pressure mercury bulbs. To minimize risk of explosion, it has to be replaced at the end of its rated life (250 h in our case).
- Remove your slides, and turn down the microscope stage before you switch of the microscope.
- If the next user has not yet arrived and you are unsure whether she/he will come: switch off the microscope (don't forget what you learned in the CLSM intro) and the Hg-lamp. If another user follows - a rule: for a 1-2 h break, the system should not be switched off, but set to 'stand by'. For any longer breaks, switch off.Record the times for the system, lasers, mercury lamp in the log-book.
- Clean up - remove any dirt or liquids form the microscope parts.